As summer break slips away, kids everywhere are getting ready to trade swimsuits and flip-flops for backpacks and lunch boxes. Ready or not, it’s almost time for a new school year. Before the bell rings to call everyone back to the books, get their wheels turning and ready for learning at the Children’s Hands-On Museum of Tuscaloosa.
Learn Through Play
Kids learn best when they’re engaged in an activity. In fact, learning disguised as play is the most effective way for many kids to absorb and retain information – without even realizing that’s what they’re doing. At the Children’s Hands-On Museum of Tuscaloosa (CHOM), education meets fun as kids explore, discover, and create.
What better time than just before a new school year kicks off to bring your young learners to CHOM? Watch their minds start to shake off summer’s stupor as they move from exhibit to exhibit, touching, playing, and interacting with each one.
Some of the most popular exhibits are:
- Captain Tim Parker – This model riverboat lets kids take the helm to learn all about river transportation in Alabama.
- Lil’ Sprouts Farmer’s Market – This exhibit encourages pretend play as guests shop, sell, and browse farm-fresh produce.
- Choctaw Indian Village – Explore a detailed replica of a 1700s Choctaw village.
- DCH Health System – A trip to the hospital has never been so much fun.
- Kool Zone – Kids love this wild and interactive play area featuring kaleidoscopes, an air ball booth, and fun mirrors.
Other exhibits teach about Japanese culture, visual and performing arts, Alabama woodlands, and outer space. There are even areas specially designed for the youngest visitors to play safely.
Plan Your Visit
CHOM is open Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. Admission is free for babies under age 1, $9 for ages 1 to 64, and $8 for those over 65. Museum members get in free. The museum is conveniently located at 2213 University Boulevard in downtown Tuscaloosa, next to City Hall.
You might also like: Where To Get A Frozen Treat In Tuscaloosa
Speaking of back to school, are you looking for a new set of wheels to get you reliably, happily, and comfortably through the daily carpool circuit? If so, you owe it to yourself to see what we have in store at Tuscaloosa Hyundai. Our dealership is your Central Alabama source for incredible bargains on all the brand-new Hyundai models you love, plus a well-stocked selection of high-quality pre-owned vehicles of all kinds. Find your perfect match among our extensive inventory and enjoy the incredible savings we have to offer!