On a day set aside to remember and reflect upon the brave men and women who fought and died for our country, many people gather with friends and loved ones and pay tribute in their own way—with food and fellowship. Despite the solemnity of the holiday itself, Memorial Day gatherings aren’t often somber occasions. These picnics, backyard barbecues, and poolside parties have come to represent the unofficial kickoff of summer.
While true summer won’t appear for another few weeks—June 21 is the official first day of summer—Memorial Day will do for those who just can’t wait any longer. It’s on Monday, May 28 this year, which means you still have some time to get your memorable Memorial Day menu together and get ready to wow guests with your culinary prowess.
Fire Up the Grill
Hot dogs, burgers, shrimp skewers, ribs—these are the main attraction. A deft hand at the grill and a little imagination are all you need to go beyond basic for the stars of your Memorial Day cookout. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Grilled Chicago Dogs: A fresh, Windy City twist on a classic, topped with tomatoes, onion, relish, and lettuce.
- Honey-Glazed Baby Back Ribs with Whiskey Marinade: Sweet, spicy, and addictive ribs can’t be overlooked—and won’t be undereaten.
- Pesto Shrimp Skewers: Simple and light, these kebabs balance heavier fare with their bright, citrusy flavor.
- Beer Can Burgers: Beef, cheese, bacon, beer—you can’t go wrong here.
Cool It Down
The grilled meats are all well and good, but no backyard barbecue spread is complete without a couple of delicious sides and salads to offset the mains. Try these:
- Greek Salad Skewers: Who doesn’t like food on a stick? These little salad skewers bring much-needed freshness to the party.
- Bruschetta Pasta Salad: Multicolored cherry tomatoes and orecchiette pasta with garlic and sprinkles of basil—summer in a bowl.
- Bacon-Ranch Potato Salad: Forget your diet for a minute and enjoy this indulgent potato dish dressed with sour cream, cheese, bacon, and ranch.
- Strawberry Salsa: The ruby-red fruits of summer replace tomatoes in this surprisingly tasty and versatile condiment.
You might also like: Have You Tried Pickleball Yet?
End on a Sweet Note
Sweet savings, that is. At Tuscaloosa Hyundai, we can’t wait to offer you a low price on any of the new or used vehicles in our extensive inventory. Visit our dealership over the Memorial Day weekend and get ready to start summer in a new car, truck, or SUV!